Don’t pave 10.
A significant portion of Canal Shores’ 10th hole is in danger of being paved over for the benefit of the Keefe Family Trust (Trust) associated with real estate developer, Dick Keefe Development Corporation. Canal Shores needs your immediate support to defeat an easement request for a road across the 10th hole.
The Trust is being assisted by Springfield politician and attorney John Cullerton, who is president of the Illinois Senate. The easement involves the use of public land for the benefit of a private landowner.
In addition to destroying the 10th hole tee area and much of the fairway, the easement would permanently harm Canal Shores’ most ecologically sensitive area, which includes multiple century-old oak trees and three wetlands. One of the wetlands would be paved over. The other two wetlands would be negatively affected. This easement would also greatly harm one of the most aesthetic holes at Canal Shores and reduce valuable green space.
On behalf of the Trust, the Cook County Department of Transportation and Highways (Cook County) is requesting the easement from the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District (MWRD). The requested easement would be approximately 60’ wide x 300’ long and used to access a parcel that the Trust owns. The parcel lies north of Isabella in Evanston and south of Maple Ave. in Wilmette just on the east side of the CTA tracks. The easement containing the roadway would run south from Maple Ave.
Canal Shores is Adamantly Opposed to a Paved Roadway on the 10th Hole.
Here’s How You Can Help!
If you oppose the use of public land for private benefit, impairment of an entire golf hole, or destruction of important ecological areas, please take prompt action on behalf of Canal Shores:
- Contact MWRD commissioners who will vote on the easement request to voice your opposition. Their contact information and a sample email are found below.
- Attend the MWRD meeting on October 18th at 10:30 a.m. when commissioners will vote on the easement to voice your opposition (100 E. Erie, Chicago, date to be confirmed).
- The Wilmette Park District voted on October 10th to oppose the easement. Thank you for reaching out to contact them and express your opinion. Click here to read the WPD Resolution from October 10
- Spread the word about the threat to Canal Shores and forward this email to all who may be inclined to contact MWRD and voice their opposition to this roadway.
- Keep abreast of developments on the Canal Shores website, canalshores.org/dontpave10.
The proposed easement harms not only golfers, but everyone who uses Canal Shores for walking dogs, watching birds, walking, jogging, and cross-country skiing.
Thank you for supporting Canal Shores in opposing an easement that would destroy the 10th hole and harm the ecological habitat of the area!
- According to John Cullerton’s 2018 “Statement Of Economic Interests” filed with the Secretary of State, Cullerton has an ownership interest in Dick Keefe Development Corporation.
- The width of the proposed easement is approximately the size of the Central Street bridge in Evanston or approximately size of the Michigan Avenue bridge roadway in Chicago and the length of a football field! Zoning laws require a road large enough to accommodate emergency vehicles.
- MWRD owns the land on which Canal Shores operates and leases the relevant portion to WPD, which in turn subleases it to Canal Shores.
- The Trust’s parcel has been landlocked for an extended period of time.
President, Canal Shores
MWRD Commissioners Contact Information
Mariyana T. Spyropoulos President (312) 751-5650 Mariyana.Spyropoulos@mwrd.org
Barbara J. McGowan Vice President (312) 751-5640 Barbara.McGowan@mwrd.org
Frank Avila Chairman of Finance (312) 751-5620 Frank.Avila@mwrd.org
Kenneth Dunkin Commissioner (312) 751-5465 Ken.Dunkin@mwrd.org
Martin J. Durkan Commissioner (312) 751-5490 Martin.Durkan@mwrd.org
Josina Morita Commissioner (312) 751-5080 Josina.Morita@mwrd.org
Debra Shore Commissioner (312) 751-5690 Debra.Shore@mwrd.org
Kari K. Steele Commissioner (312) 751-5694 Kari.Steele@mwrd.org
David J. Walsh Commissioner (312) 751-5701 David.Walsh@mwrd.org
Wilmette Park District Commissioners Contact Information
|Shelley S. Shelly||Vice Presidentemail@example.com|
|I Gordon Andersonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Sample Email To Copy And Paste
I am writing to voice my strong opposition to a request for a 60’ wide x 300’ long easement, and any subsequent easement, for a paved roadway on Canal Shores Golf Course’s 10th hole in Wilmette. Please REJECT this request when it soon comes before you.
The proposed easement would destroy the 10th hole, harm important ecological areas, reduce valuable green space, and unfairly convert public land for private use.
We hope you will oppose this easement and support the voters who are golfers, neighbors, dog walkers, nature lovers, walkers, joggers, birders, cross-country skiers and everyone else who enjoys the open space and the wildlife of Canal Shores.
Thank you for your continued attention to this matter.
[Your Name Here]